[AusNOG] Question for Maritime Comms

Alex Voigt alex at advtech.com.au
Mon Sep 12 11:34:21 EST 2011

My input

Biggest issue is movement and tracking for the satellite. These are products that I have used. Fleet55 and Seatel being some what of a standard.

http://www.amisales.com.au/Category/3924-satellite.aspx

Normally for vessels in class they will be part of the required telephone systems.

Then you need to commit and purchase air from the satellite reseller with the downlink for internet feed.

key thing is to have options, I use firewalls that support multiple internet feeds and plug each in via Ethernet. Switching manually which normally means unplugging a patch to meet crew members skill levels to select a method.

Sometimes a 3g/nextg modem router as a choice while in range is most effective with a high gain mast mounted antenna

Alex