[AusNOG] NBN Battery backups

Damien Morris damien at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Oct 13 15:26:10 EST 2011

That was great, can we just use "Michael Bevan" as a synonym for the
NEXTDC CEO henceforth?

Battery backed NBN NTU is a good concept but has fallen short due to the
large overhead vs actual requirement. I think our favourite MP, Mr Conroy,
made a good point when he said a decent quantity of people already rely on
mobile phones as their primary device or use a cordless phone which
becomes useless in a blackout anyway.

>From business and environmental standpoints ditching the NTU battery is a
good idea, the luxury of DC current supplied by POTS will give way to
newer technology and those that need it can replicate it through a variety
of end user UPS solutions. The lower overhead will get passed on to the
consumer so everyone wins.