[AusNOG] Cessnock Exchange

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 16 15:07:47 EST 2011

On 16/11/2011 11:07 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> On 16/11/2011, at 10:06 AM, Paul Brooks wrote:
>>>

>> Call your friendly local ACCC manager for an informal chat. They can't do anything to
>> help until someone actually contacts them, but if you have the communication with the
>> customer documented, then they can act on your evidence just as much as they can act
>> on documented occurances from a bigger fish. Their processes can seem slow at times,
>> but its worth persevering.
>>
>> P.
>
> The deeper problem is that this keep continuing.   It's the ongoing pattern of
> behaviour which is the problem.  And it's indeed exactly what the competitive
> industry is concerned about with the current "structural separation" agreement - is
> that it won't prevent it as there won't be real equivalency until Telstra Retail has
> to purchase from Telstra Wholesale, just like everyone else.
>
> The smoking gun is hard to prove, but I do think that the number of examples need to
> be pooled together to show that, despite the claims it's just "innocent mistakes" by
> individuals.   It's clear that ACCC need to take all of these examples over a long
> period of time and tie them together as Telstra management clearly turning a blind
> eye to the behaviour by it's staff.   If they are considered as individual events
> then nothing ever happens.  Telstra know that this stuff isn't meant to happen, so
> neglecting to ensure it doesn't in a meaningful way is considered bad behaviour.
>
> Patterns of behaviour are something ACCC is interested in - I've had previous
> success showing patterns of behaviour which were ignored or overlooked by TW.
Indeed - its part of the same issues that cropped up years ago. If the ISPs on this
list all experiencing the problems now can document each instance, take it to the ACCC
and show a systemic pattern, then they can do something with it and call Telstra in
for a chat about their recurring behaviour.

It worked in 2005...
http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/economics_ctte/estimates/add_0405/treasury/t14_lundy.pdf
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/663725/fromItemId/620299

If your customer gets connected through Bigpond after TW refuse a connection to
another ISP, then Telstra have made an undertaking to migrate them to the ISP at no
charge.
If they won't, print out that Telstra commitment and ask your Telstra Wholesale rep
out for a coffee on his tab.

P.