[AusNOG] SPAM-LOW: Pipe peering issue - Equinix

Matt Whitlock matt.whitlock at pipeinternational.com
Mon Nov 14 17:39:18 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to make a clear statement about where we are up to on this
issue.

In the past few months we have seen problems with unknown unicast
flooding on the PIPE Sydney IX. This issue affects a subset of peers
connected to just one of the switches that make up the Sydney IX.

We use a combination of port security and layer 2 ACL's on all peering
interfaces to prevent this type of problem. Over the years these
mechanisms have prevented many broadcast storms and loops on the
network. For those concerned, our monitoring system does detect this and
other similar problems for reporting to the NOC. They are monitored and
escalated as required.

With these particular issues, the controls do not appear to be
effective. We suspect a hardware or software problem to be the cause,
but it has proven difficult to reproduce. The issue has been narrowed to
traffic injected by a specific peer and some additional protections are
now in place to minimise the risk while we work with the peer to find
the best permanent solution.

We have had a migration plan in progress for a while now to replace the
switch platform; I'm sure you can all imagine it is not a quick or easy
task to complete. We have an expectation of contacting you all in the
next few days to continue this work with a view to setting a mutually
agreed migration date.

Ta,

Matt Whitlock
Operations Manager, PIPE