[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

David N ausnog at khetanna.com
Sat May 21 19:49:18 EST 2011

> Turnbull et al claim that the DOCSIS3 deployments on Optus and Telstra
> HFC cables are already delivering 100 Mbps to the home, and so are
> delivering NBN-compatible services already past 2.something million
> homes. Again, they ignore the upstream - the 100Mbps HFC cable
> services are 100/2 - only 1.5 to 2 Mbps upstream, not 40 Mbps upstream
> that the NBN fibre 100/40 product delivers, and HFC is also not
> QoS-enabled or IPv6-enabled either - or available wholesale.

(a) On an un-congested node average upstream utilisation is < 20Kb/sec
(ie. users can push more but don't). So what's the business case for
increasing this today (it can be done simply when needed)?

(b) DOCSIS 1.1 provides QoS. All major DOCSIS networks in ANZ are QOS
enabled.

(c) D3 supports v6 - I'm sure MMC can quote the MSOs supporting v6 just
as well as I could. v6 is not deployed on HFC in ANZ for the same reason
as any other access - who will pay for the change request and updating
of usage collection systems?