[AusNOG] Labor backflips again.......

Terry Sweetser terry at skymesh.net.au
Sat Mar 26 17:41:56 EST 2011

Last I heard, it's

93% fibre,
4% wireless,
3% satellite.

And if you live in a large apartment building, you will likely be on
VDSL under the current NBN plan.

For the OP: national uniform pricing by the NBN is the same as doing a
massive subsidy in the bush anyway -- but they have backed away from
doing it across different technologies.  So, if you are at remote
location and can get a fibre tail, you will get the same price as any
metro urban household.   Once you are off the fibre network, you'll get
less bandwidth for the same money on wireless or satellite, or NBN wants
to charge more because some very new unforeseen technology now allows
you to get full NBN speed over a non-fibre service.  (A prime example,
that wireless footprint could get LTE...)

Always keep in mind: the NBN will look like and act like what the
politicians perceive as the public need, (or a relatively good
resemblance thereof,) and will happily ignore the technical press, the
RSP's and the postings in the list.  They have a mantra, "it's all about
the end user experience", and applying the old Roman paradign: bread and
circuses will keep them happy.  (Note on the "technical press": they are
displaying an alarming lack of clue.  And much of the mainstream press
is displaying an alarming bias.  That adds up to the NBN people and the
pollies ignoring them.  Hooray.)

On 24/03/2011 9:18 PM, Don Gould wrote:
> On 25/03/2011 12:03 a.m., Glenn Powell wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, I call the next backflip will be when the cost of labour
>> blows out, the 97% Fibre foot print will be wound back and
>> supplemented with VDSL style technologies while deployment is
>> stretched out until labour pressures reduce.
>>
> Ya, I agree...  I'm starting to sense preparation for .nz backflipping
> with this article...
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10714414

Terry Sweetser
Engineering Manager

SkyMesh Pty Ltd
Licensed Telecommunications Carrier
ABN 62 113 609 439
47 Baxter Street
FORTITUDE VALLEY Q 4006

Support Hotline 1300 759 637
Support Hours
8:00 am – 8:00 pm Monday - Friday
10:00 am – 4:00 pm Weekends & Public Holidays