[AusNOG] Amazon: And the winner is (not) Sydney

Matt Carter matt at iseek.com.au
Thu Mar 3 15:48:00 EST 2011

> Pinging www.l.google.com [66.102.11.104] with 32 bytes of data:
> Reply from 66.102.11.104: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=53
> Reply from 66.102.11.104: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=53
>
> Getting 44ms here (from internode)

I can see lots of discussion suggesting otherwise, (I see 0-1msec to this IP from my kit in Sydney)

So, curious where about's in internode this ping was performed from, an end user DSL, or service provider infrastructure (which is where other people contributing to this thread are doing their traces from, so just wondering, are we comparing apples for apples here???)

... I can see you are in located in Adelaide via an internode DSL? and when I do the math on what I see to google (0-1 msec) and I add what I see to internode LNS in Adelaide (20ms) then I do an LFT to your PPP which shows a differential to the LNS of another 24ms for your last hop, when we add the internode latency to Adelaide, 20 + your last hop latency of 24 = 44-45ms..... which is the exact figure you are coming up with?

.... I'm trying very desperately not to do 1+1 = window here. Where was this "44ms" ping performed _FROM_ ?

:)

Kind regards,