[AusNOG] Amazon: And the winner is (not) Sydney

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Mar 3 10:33:11 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Alastair Waddell
<awaddell at legion.com.au> wrote:
> AWS new region - any insiders know if the long wait for an Aus region might end soon?
>
> http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2011/03/02/announcing-asia-pacific-tokyo-region/

The back-of-envelope cost/benefit analysis says "a very long time".
Think of the number of users in Tokyo, or within peering range of
Tokyo.  Now consider, for example, how long it took Google to install
just some cache machines in Australia.  Either of those companies will
probably have a datacentre on the moon before they install one in
Australia.  As Vijay said, you don't click on ads, do you?  :-)

When someone makes me eat my words, please serve them with moon-cake.

-a