[AusNOG] So ICANN approved generic TLDs

Greg M gregm at servu.net.au
Wed Jun 22 00:19:36 EST 2011

Ø  We hope this allows the domain name system to better serve all of mankind, said Rod Beckstrom, President and Chief Executive Officer of ICANN.

Further reading would highlight that the “Government Advisory Committee” (read Canada/US Govt) was opposed to or looking to stall this new “generic GTLD’s” implementation?

http://gac.icann.org/system/files/GAC%20communication%20on%20new%20gTLDs%20and%20Applicant%20Guidebook-%2020110618_0.pdf

Ø  The GAC recognises that the most recent version of the Draft Applicant guidebook includes several changes which address some of the GAC's outstanding concerns but notes that  there remain several substantive issues which require resolution before the launch of the new gTLD application process. These include:

also tinfoil hat:

The GAC advises the Board that where the gTLD Guidebook attempts to specify that future GAC advice must contain particular information or take a specified form, these references should be deleted as they are inconsistent with GAC operating principles and the Bylaws.

Yay Open Internets!