[AusNOG] So ICANN approved generic TLDs

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Jun 22 00:11:40 EST 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:57:45 +1000
Shaun Deans <shaun at kadeo.com.au> wrote:

> I thought that and read the “Application Guide” its 185K “Application Fee”

Overlooking the amount, I think a flat fee was a mistake. That basically
means that companies+ in poorer parts of the world are going to be
excluded from purchasing because the real cost to them is so much more
for them than in 1st world countries. Then again, with all the
continuing GFC shenanigans, all the world currencies might be far more
equal in the near future - even ours. It's a bit hard to believe that
China isn't going to suffer from an economic downturn caused by excess
housing when you look at these slides of cities full of nobody.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-ghost-cities-2011-5

+individuals, non-profits and governments are unlikely to buy I think,
although it could be the ultimate vanity domain. Perhaps we should pool
all our money and buy .billgates ?