[AusNOG] Android storing SSID and WPA encryption keys

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Jun 19 03:33:06 EST 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Paul Brooks
<pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>wrote:

> I've been looking at these - unfortunately they are a great example of
> exchange rate
> bastardry when bought locally.
> 32GB version + dock/keyboard is AU$797 at JBHiFi, and US$666 on Amazon, and
> US$648 at
> NewEgg in the States. Just doesn't add up.

Don't forget the tax.

$797 at JB means that the real price is A$724, with the rest going to the
government.  Depending on what day you do the current conversion, that's
about a 15% uplift on the US price.  Anyone that's done business in both
Australia and the US will tell you that's a more than fair uplift for
selling a product into a market like Australia where volume is going to be
significantly lower than somewhere like the US - especially for a hardware
product where you need to factor in repair costs/etc.

People in Australia far to frequently forget the entire tax angle in the US.
If I order from Newegg they will add on sales tax of 9.25%, bringing the
price up to over US$700 from the sub-$650 you've listed above.  If you're a
business and you order from Amazon (or anyone else that doesn't charge sales
tax at time of sale), you still need to pay the tax, in the form of a
"consumption tax" paid to your local state government.

  Scott.