[AusNOG] World IPv6 Day

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jun 8 13:03:36 EST 2011

In message <6E63F9B1-58F4-47C8-92BB-A3353DBBE2D1 at internode.com.au>, Matthew Moy
le-Croft writes:
> On 08/06/2011, at 11:50 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> Content providers complaining about 6to4 reverse paths not working
> have nobody but themselves to blame.  Anybody that is dual stacked
> can run a 6to4 relay, in most cases the servers can do the job
> themselves.  You don't have to be using a 6to4 address to do this.
>
> The issue primarily is CPE/routers in people's homes which are behind a
> layer of IPv4 NAT.  Some have 6to4 on, but of course it doesn't work.
> This leads people's computers to believe they have v6 connectivity when
> they don't so they spend a long time trying to connect with IPV6.

As I said "default on" is the problem.  If it was manually turned
on then the issue wouldn't exist and people tend to test things
when they turn them on.

World IPv6 Day will flush out some of these routers.

Additionally its the applications themselves that are broken.  You
don't have to wait 1/2 a minute before you try the next address.

http://www.isc.org/community/blog/201101/how-to-connect-to-a-multi-homed-server-over-tcp

> The content provider TO consumer side isn't the issue, it's the
> consumer TO content provider direction.

People complain about both directions.  IPv4 mostly ISP's can fix
one direction (there shouldn't be a ISP that can't get upstream
IPv6 working today) and content providers can fix the other.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org