[AusNOG] IPTV Content Providers

Stephen Gillies max at 3rdbasenetworks.net.au
Mon Jun 6 08:23:13 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 13:21 +0000, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> I am just gathering market intelligence to see who is doing what.  I
> have a number of customers who are interested in doing something with
> IPTV in different ways, and I wanted to know who the content players
> are.. If any beyond who I already mentioned.  Western content seems
> rare, but foreign content is in abundance with quite a few trying to
> sell content…. But it has limited interest without a western offering
> to back it up.

Skeeve

In my view it depends who your market is. There are significant numbers
of Indian, chinese and south african people in Australia who, like the
Italian, Greek and Arabic speakers, don't have easy access to first
language content other than PayTV.

I know several families who are paying for big channel packages of PayTV
just to get the 2 channels they watch because of how PayTV providers
current structure their packages around foreign content.

When looking at IPtv options a few years ago, there was a view that
sport drives IPtv eyeballs and the sporting content is fairly locked
up.

But if you can prove you have a market to content owners I don't see why
they wouldn't sell you rights to a distribution channel and timeslice.

Max

--
Stephen Gillies
Principal Consultant, 3rd Base Networks