[AusNOG] IPocalypse eve?

David Connors david at codify.com
Mon Jan 31 14:12:47 EST 2011

On 31 January 2011 11:26, Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc at internode.com.au> wrote:

>  The customers change their ADSL login from username at internode.on.net to
> username at ipv6.internode.on.net on capable CPE and it just works. I'm
> tempted to get my 88 year old grandfather (who bought himself a Win7 laptop
> recently) a dual stack CPE just so I can say that it's that easy.

Don't tell Poppy to ring the 13NODE if it doesn't "it just works" for him:

   1. it is unsupported (and by that I mean *completely unsupported* ... the
   helpdesk would not even open a ticket when I rang up to ask which IOS they
   would recommend on an 877-M).
   2. I lost sync over xmas and helpdesk told me to "remove ipv6 from my
   username because I am on the ipv6 trial" ... even though I had no carrier.
   3. The DHCP client on an 877M stuffs up frequently (even with the applet
   from the config page in it) - Not an Internode issue for sure but I have NFI
   when Cisco are going to get around to fixing that.
   4. My Brisbane DSL traffic goes via Sydney
   5. You get no free content over ipv6

No doubt there are good technical reasons for many/all of the above, but the
v6 experience is worse than v4 let alone parity. Banging on about how it is
better is not really accurate.

--
*David Connors* | david at codify.com | www.codify.com
Software Engineer