[AusNOG] Law Enforcement requests for data

Bradley Falzon brad at teambrad.net
Sat Jan 15 14:58:19 EST 2011

Mark is right but just to take this a little further off topic, once
you do speak to your lawyer and if you do respond to the request, make
sure you send the response back to a lawful agency.

For example, let's say you received the request via fax and they are
asking you to respond via fax or mail and it contains NSW Police
letter head, call the NSW Police Department on their publicly listed
switch board and ask for the officer who sent the request. Verify they
did send the request, and the return address / number and then reply.
If they sent in a request via fax, you don't want to be the victim of
an investigative journalist* checking how many CSP's blindly give our
customer information whenever asked. Once you have checked the
recipient address once, don't really need to again.

Just a thought.

* Or terrorist.