[AusNOG] Law Enforcement requests for data

Nick Brown nick at inticon.net.au
Sat Jan 15 13:30:02 EST 2011

Afternoon all,

While this is likely better suited for our solicitor I'd very much
appreciate any input from the industry or from those who have had
requests in regards to capture of data for a specific customer from
Police or similar.

It is my understanding that under the Telecommunications Act any such
request must be accompanied with a warrant, however the Surveillance
Devices Act suggests that perhaps this can be overcome should permission
be granted (Our AUP implies explicit permission is granted for us to
comply with any request from a law enforcement agency).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Nick.