[AusNOG] Flooding in Rockhampton - What can AUSNOG do? NBN --> Rockhampton.

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Sat Jan 8 08:57:51 EST 2011

Bevan,

*That is an amazingly good idea!!!*

1.  Watching the media coverage does not give you a real scope of the
problem up there.

You need to actually go there to see what's going on and get a real feel
for what's needed.  You need to look for your self, even if your looking
is just out of the window of your taxi while you drive from the event to
the pub and back it makes a measurable difference.

2.  Donated funds just don't get there in time if at all.

You must go there and simply spend some money buying a simple pie for
lunch.

You will do more for the people than giving $10,000 dollars to the Red
Cross to help - and yes, I well know that there are many on this list
who could simply give $10,000 without it really having much personal
impact past choosing a lesser BMW for the next 2 years.

.nz collected ~$ 15,000,000.00 for chc.nz.  So far less than 10% has
actually made it out of the bank account.  35% of applications for
hardship money have been rejected last time I checked (3 weeks ago) and
doctors in Christchurch are now complaining in the press that they're
spending their time seeing people who simply want medical chits to say
they're stressed so they can get some extra pre-xmas help - trust me,
every one in Christchurch is stressed!

If you really can't be without that new M3 this year then fly to
Rockhampton and at least buy it from their BMW dealership - I'm sure you
see the logic in my point.

In .chc.nz we've now had truck loads of small business simply fold.  If
you really want to help these people then go buy some pies, a loaf of
bread from a small bakery and a piece of meat[1] from a butcher and hold
a AuNOG BBQ.

3.  NBN --> Rockhampton

I don't know if it's already been suggested, but if as an IT community
you really wanted to help the area then you'd get NBNCo refocused on
fibre roll out in to that area this year.  Yes I do actually understand
the implications of that and just how complex a question it would be
because you're not only trying to push out something new but also
dealing with a disaster area.  But now much public works investment
would having 100 fibre crews working in the area bring?

How many extra local pies would be sold?

D - Living in a disaster area, with daily earthquakes.chc.nz

[1] Anyone with small kids will get the reference to Mr Men, Mr Noisy.