[AusNOG] Data Room Fibre patching.

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Tue Feb 8 10:19:11 EST 2011

On 08/02/2011, at 8:46 AM, Thomason, Simon wrote:

> Just thought I would ask the subject matter experts what are some of the current ways of doing hi-density data room fibre patching these days?
>
> I know there are a few different vendors out there with their solutions along with the normal FTP but was just wondering what the DC operators were doing.
>
> With Fibre-channel and 10gig switch ports there is a need to have a think about a patching scheme going forward.

i talked about some of this at AusNOG-04.  my presentation should be on the ausnog site somewhere.

there is only one meaningful manner for high density fiber within an 'enterprise' data centre: MTP.
as an added bonus, it makes it easy to migrate from 10GbE to 40GbE and 100GbE -- at least, for fiber distances of <=100m.

cheers,

lincoln.