[AusNOG] Final /8 allocated to APNIC from IANA (103/8)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Feb 7 11:38:55 EST 2011

In message <AANLkTin64mReYsNL0U0q-ssDeXUNvneTboEMQeAd6JHW at mail.gmail.com>, Nare
lle writes:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> > In message <C971D0C5.A588%damien at yahoo-inc.com>, Damien Morris writes:
> >> Was their v6 strategy back then the same as it is now?
> >
> > I don't think anyone was thinking about IPv6 in '88.  This is
> > pre-CIDR and pre-RIR.  Class B ment "class B" not /16 and you had
> > to justify the allocation based on projected usage.  If you went
> > over 256 you got a class B.
>
> I can vouch for a fact that we were most certainly not thinking about v6 in
>  '88.
>
> At that time we were just discovering IP, and that new-fangled thing
> called subnetting. Most of the unis got a /16 (I'm still trying to get
> used to calling it that LOL) and we laid out the networks with as much
> forethought as possible. At my uni (UTS) we used /23 networks for the
> various faculties, and that plan still seems to be in place today. I
> remember the debates about where and what to do: we envisaged a world
> where all the offices and equipment were networked, therefore large
> subnets and that is really only coming into fruition today.
>
> It wasn't until the mid 90s that the realisation hit that IPv4 was
> going to run out, and I participated in the IPng working group at the
> time. That was '95. Then came CIDR and NAT...

I can remember breaking 130.155 into 130.155.0/17 and 130.155.128/17
at there were two divisions in the building.  Later we redivided
it into 130.155.x/20 as it spread out of the initial site to cover
all of NSW.  There were a few class C nets in there as well at the
observatories.  This was back when you had to have a common netmask
if you were subnetting.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org