[AusNOG] Final /8 allocated to APNIC from IANA (103/8)

John.Gibbins at csiro.au John.Gibbins at csiro.au
Fri Feb 4 14:42:22 EST 2011

If it costs money to keep them and they are no longer needed, I expect they will be handed back.  Whether they will no longer be needed in five years time is the big question.

If we returned all of our IPv4 addresses, it would drop out APNIC fees by about 90%.  Unfortunately due to the logarithmic charging scheme, we would have to return a very large percentage to make significant reductions in cost. I can't see that happening within 5 years.  It would take us that long to migrate systems off IPv4 after we decided that no one else on the Internet was only on v4.  Maybe in 10 years...

I don't have a feel for how fast the last /8 will be handed out, so I have no idea whether it could last that long.

Regards
johng
--
John Gibbins
IT Security Operations (and IPv6 Evangelist)