[AusNOG] Final /8 allocated to APNIC from IANA (103/8)

John.Gibbins at csiro.au John.Gibbins at csiro.au
Fri Feb 4 12:40:55 EST 2011

Due to the severe rationing of the allocations from the last /8, I'd hope that IPv4 will never completely run out.  The idea is that there should always be small chunks available for organisations to get started and then migrate to IPv6.  By the time all of the small chunks are handed out, there will be large numbers of IPv4 blocks being handed back as surplus to requirements.  By this time, the demand for IPv4 should be mostly gone.  Hopefully....

The real impact of the exhaustion of the regular /8s is that it will impact the large expanding users (mainly ISPs) who won't be able to get as much as they would like.  Therefore they will have to conserve addresses using carrier grade NAT or IPv6 only connections.  Although the latter is preferable, until a significant proportion of the Internet is available via v6, CGN may be the only practical option.

Regards
johng
--
John Gibbins
IT Security Operations (and IPv6 Evangelist)