[AusNOG] IPocalypse now (?)

Steve Smith tarkasteve at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:44:32 EST 2011

> For some time I have likened watching IPv6 take up to watching the
> Little Penguins on the beach at Philip Island. The penguins all gather
> in clumps on the beach, nervously eyeing each other off. They twitch,
> spit and peck seeming to say: "Are you going?" "Not me, are you
> going?" "No, no, I'm not going." "Shall we go?" "Don't you dare,
> no"... until all of a sudden one brave soul charges off across the
> beach. After a gap of time another heads out, then another. After
> these few lonesome souls have braved their fears, the whole crowd
> moves almost as a swarm.

A friend spent some time in Antartica.  He describes the penguin
behaviour slightly differently:

The penguins all huddle together at the edge of the ice-floe, looking
over the edge for predators.  Eventually they'll eye one of the group
nearer the edge, gather behind it and push it off.  They then poke
their heads over the edge to see what happens; if their colleague
isn't eaten after a few seconds they all pile in.  Sometimes, the
early bird gets eaten by the leopard seal.

I think we're going to see some penguins get pushed over the coming year.

Cheers,
Steve