[AusNOG] Qld and cyclone

Internet Information Group gmaltby+ausnog at iig.com.au
Thu Feb 3 02:45:52 EST 2011

The eye has just passed over Mission Beach in between Cairns and
Townsville and at the moment we are still seeing all SH/ADSL connections
that are running on generator power (eg Hotels and Resorts) in Cairns
and surrounds connected - suggesting the main exchanges and feeds south
are intact.  (still plenty of custs checking their mail!)

The issue later will be how long batteries and generators last in the
region and how bad the expected inundation of sea water will be as the
cyclone fully crosses the coast.  As an example, the main Cairns
exchange is barely a few metres above sea level and not far from the
shore - although Townsville is likely to see higher tidal surges than
Cairns.

Based on experience of Cyclone Larry, there is a high likelihood that
the main transmission towers between Townsville and Cairns will suffer
damage.  The amount of which will determine how long systems will need
to run on batteries and generators.

Emergency Management QLD have already stated one of their main
priorities will be to get and keep mobile cells operational.

The majority of our customers in the region shut down routers and main
servers and relocated them to high ground or to Brisbane.

Those that left equipment on will likely find that the surges and
brownouts tonight - before power was cut - haven't been kind to that gear.

The worst is still to come for some major centres and it will likely
take a day or so before the real damage indicators emerge.

Klaus

Internet Information Group
www.iig.com.au