[AusNOG] IPocalypse now (?)

Alastair Johnson aj at sneep.net
Tue Feb 1 13:35:37 EST 2011

On 31/01/2011, at 5:51 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Patch class E to work if it is broken and add 6rd support at the
> same time.  Allocate 2 /8's out of class E for 6rd + LSN.  The only
> boxes that see the class E addresses are the ISP's routers and the
> the 6rd CPE device.
>
> The ISP control the 6rd option response so they only use the addresses
> when they know know they will work.
>
> Add a second option that the CPE set that indicates they it can
> accept a class E address.  Class E addresses would always be NAT'd
> by the ISP.

The use of 240/4 for this purpose was also discussed but there was again reluctance for vendors and operators to go down this path (because it distracts from v6), hence the recent discussion around the assignment of a /10 for 'common use' for transition.

There are alternative methods for solving the WAN side address problem for CGN, such as draft-miles-behave-l2nat, or reusing the same 1918 or public pool many times.

I was pro 240/4 being repurposed, but we are way too late to repeat the discussions now. There are alternatives available that solve the problems.