[AusNOG] RADIUS solution - what would you do if you were starting from scratch?

Lisle, Ben Ben.Lisle at transact.com.au
Thu Dec 8 10:14:23 EST 2011

I really can't give a high enough recommendation for Radiator.  Fantastic product.  Amazing support if you need it by Hugh and Mike.  I think there's a free 30 day trial version you can download.  Grab that and have a look at the goodies/ directory which should give you a good idea on what you can do.

Management wise regardless of whatever you pick you're going to have to build some glue yourself (it does come with a gui for use management but I've never used it).  You can't get around that. Radiator being a written completely in Perl is very extensible.  Performance wise we've never had an issue with it.

If you wanted to go the free route I'd recommend FreeRADIUS.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

---
Ben Lisle | Senior Systems Engineer
TransACT Communications

On 07/12/2011, at 11:47 PM, James Mcintosh wrote:

> Hi Noggers,
>

> I'd like to get some recommendations / experiences with RADIUS solutions for a growing ISP. Happy to consider both free and commercial options.
>
> My top criteria are:
>
> 1. Ease of implementation
>
> 2. Ease of use for level 1 support staff to be able to manage users, change plans, reset sessions etc. with a web/gui interface
>
> What solution would you implement if you were starting from scratch?

*PLEASE NOTE* This email and any attachments may
be confidential. If received in error, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. The reproduction or
dissemination of this email or its attachments is
prohibited without the consent of the sender.

WARNING RE VIRUSES: Our computer systems sweep
outgoing email to guard against viruses, but no warranty
is given that this email or its attachments are virus free.
Before opening or using attachments, please check for
viruses. Our liability is limited to the re-supply of any
affected attachments.

individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views of the
organisation.