[AusNOG] Domain Name Group Pty Ltd cheaky marketing...

David Walker davidianwalker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 11:10:05 EST 2011

On 17/08/2011, Eric Pinkerton <Eric.Pinkerton at stratsec.net> wrote:
> They are clearly the same organisation....
>
> Compare these two pages...
>
> http://www.domainregister.com.au/quickpay/
> http://www.domainnamegroup.com.au/quickpay/

Nice.

>From the ABNs on the websites:
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=127506807
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=135462305

Both in the same postcode.

On 17/08/2011, David Mitchell <me at shutupdave.com> wrote:
> Though according to whois, both domains are registered through AussieHQ.
> Might be worth forwarding any evidence to their abuse contact as they
> could consider it a breach of their AUP:
> http://www.aussiehq.com.au/index.php/acceptable_use_policy#illegalbusiness

"•engages in any misleading or deceptive business or marketing practice;"
... which is a good facsimile of the Trade Practices Act ...
A corporation shall not, in trade or commerce, engage in conduct that
is misleading or deceptive.
... which seems to be the substance of previous case(s):

.AU DOMAIN ADMINISTRATION LIMITED v DOMAIN NAMES AUSTRALIA PTY LTD and
CHESLEY PAUL RAFFERTY
AUSTRALIAN COMPETITION AND CONSUMER COMMISSION v DOMAIN NAMES
AUSTRALIA PTY LTD and CHESLEY PAUL RAFFERTY

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/cth/FCA/2004/424.html

Guilty ... Trade Practices Act - Section 52.

Paragraph 11 gives the scope (numbers of businesses).

They ceased trading a few years after that ruling ...
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=102562649
... and apparently were also in Perth...
http://www.abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbnHistory.aspx?abn=61102562649
... which explains the mystery video feed to Perth in the above case.

I wonder if AussieHQ are ready for that.
I'm an old hand at reporting other web crime but this will go on my
agenda from now on. Thanks for the prompt.

Best wishes.