[AusNOG] Domain Name Group Pty Ltd cheaky marketing...

Matt Taylor matt at mt.au.com
Tue Aug 16 15:57:56 EST 2011

On 16/08/2011 3:54 PM, Nick Brown wrote:
> On 16/08/11 3:35 PM, Bruce Forster wrote:
>> Has any noggers gotten one of these notices?
> They are very common. As are snail mail letters from Domain Registry
> of America - they will send an invoice for a domain you already have
> registered however as opposed to a similar domain, asking you provide
> the domain password as part of the payment as so they can transfer the
> domain as part of the process.
>
> Just like the emails from the "Trademark Office" in China advising
> someone wishes to register a domain similar to your own but you have
> the chance to stop them by registering first (At ridiculous prices).
>
> Welcome to the Internet.
>
> Nick.

We get them a fair bit - one of our staff members wrote something about
it in our blog:

http://www.digitalpacific.com.au/blog/domain-renewal-scam-warning/

This thread has been around for a while too, it just got bumped (again)
the other day:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1040704

Cheers,

Matt.