[AusNOG] Windows Virus people [slightly OT]

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Fri Aug 12 15:36:17 EST 2011

Hi Andrew,

My parents get quite a few of these.. am staying with them for a week and
took one last night, leading the caller on a wild goose chase.

I was firstly informed to go to computer -> manage -> event viewer ->
windows logs -> application logs where they claimed that the errors and
warnings I could see were indications of viruses and computer corruption.

By this time I had setup a virtual machine with XP with which to continue on
the ruse. Long story short they had me install an application for remote
access and then tried to convince me to pay for "software warranties and
support" (via paypal, and then their website because my card didn't work -
fake card of course) to 'fix' the viruses on my machine :-)

If anyone is interested I recorded the whole conversation as well as taking
screen caps of the sites they had me visit at the time, unfortunately no
caller ID at parents place however it sounded like it was coming from a call
center of sorts.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Cox
Senior Network Administrator