[AusNOG] AAPT LG?

Peter Stamp peter.stamp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:31:21 EST 2011

Hi,

The AAPT looking glass does only carry a domestic table, not a full
international table. We will (finally) be replacing the AAPT looking glass
with a new one in the next month or so, and the new one will have a full
table.

The traceroute issue that Matthew is seeing may be due to the traceroute not
finishing before the browser times out the request. For eg a traceroute to
www.google.com displays correctly because the target politely sends
unreachables. Whereas www.yahoo.com must sit behind a hop that silently
ignores the traceroute packets so the browser times out while the LG router
generates up to the 30th row of stars. For international destinations this
can also happen due to core networks (eg TNZI in the AAPT case) that do not
respond to traceroutes, so it takes some time before the traceroute pops out
the other side, adding to the delay the browser sees.

The new LG software (when we settle on one) will hopefully do a better job
of flushing the output from the router after each line of output, so the
user sees some feedback while it is running.

Peter.