[AusNOG] [off-topic] US lawmakers bring in worldwide censorship laws

Chris Chaundy chris.chaundy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 10:51:36 EST 2010

I don't think the point of the posting is that much off-topic (it
should be of concern to all of us), I think that other topics
(Conroy's filter and Internet wire-tapping) are mixing things up a
bit.

<rant>
While I don't think it will happen, this does come up periodically.
While I am not sure if things have changed (I have tried deliberately
to keep out of DNS issues for some years now), as I understand it,
while ICANN is responsible for the root name-servers, it has this
responsibility at the whim of the US Department of Commerce, so there
is a lot of control there.  Sure, there are quite a number of roots or
mirror-roots that operate outside of US borders, you can bet your life
that the contracts to run these are as tight as all hell and with more
DNS security appearing every day, subverting things will be a lot
harder, but the fact is we are just talking about names here, and
there have been proposals to set up 'alternative roots' in the past,
and you can bet that if a law like this was passed, there would be a
great incentive to proceed down this path.  ICANN has fought
tooth-and-nail against such action as this would not only fragment the
Internet name-space but it would also have drastic commercial
implications, and as such, I think it will be unlikely that such a law
will see the light of day.

The one thing that does worry me is that while I don't know the ins
and outs, I am concerned about what Howard's 'Free Trade Agreement'
with the US has committed Australia to do.  After all, auDA operates
at the whim of the Federal Government.
</rant>