[AusNOG] 700Mbps over copper pair...over 400 metres

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Sep 23 15:42:54 EST 2010

On 23/09/2010, at 1:47 PM, Julien Goodwin wrote:

I wasn't aware of those details. I was assuming you were referring to
the distance limits being such that in most exchanges it wouldn't be
economically feasible.

Economic feasibility is different.

As an exchange based technology it's not terribly interesting except for CBD exchanges and quite short loops.   VDSL2 uses about 6x as much power per port, especially if you want the higher speeds, so, given the limitations on heat/power in TEBA, you can get a lot less ports per rack.    But, for CBD exchanges with short loops, it would have been pretty good.

I'd have been happy if it was deployable, then at least we'd have a choice where it made sense - certainly the bonding technologies which can deal with cross talk are quite interesting to deliver good speed, but, I suspect it'd be mainly for inbuilding or short loops to business rather than residential unless we went for a cabinetised or subloop unbundling model.

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs