[AusNOG] 700Mbps over copper pair...over 400 metres

Julien Goodwin ausnog at studio442.com.au
Thu Sep 23 11:42:21 EST 2010

On 23/09/10 11:30, Kai wrote:
> Huawei has showcased, in Hong Kong what it claims is the world's first technology able to deliver 700Mbps over copper pair phone lines.
> itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/42025-huawei-squeezes-700mbps-from-dsl
>
> I got semi excited about this until I read the first paragraph:
> "Huawei says its 'SuperMIMO' technology uses four twisted pairs to achieve a downstream rate of 700Mbps at a distance of 400 metres."
>
> I'm guessing that was tested on "perfect copper" at 400 metres, and not the stuff that's sitting in the pits and up the columns around Aus, dealing with constant temperature and humidity variations, at various stages of decay and after being repatched and respliced a few hundred times.

They claim they've addressed crosstalk to go from 100Mb (so presumably
VDSL2) to 175. Then they do bonding, so not really anything special.

But I still wonder about crosstalk concerns, which was always the claim
as to why ADSL2 (and fast ADSL1) took so long to get approved, and why
VDSL (still?) hasn't.

I'm sure the DSL carriers here would know the actual (by way of TDR)
average pair length in use in Australia, and could probably show just
why this is or isn't worth pursuing.