[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Sep 20 19:04:02 EST 2010

On 20/09/2010, at 5:27 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Jason Bailey wrote:
>
>> I can see the headlines now: "NBN disconnects surgeon, kills patient".
>
> I can see another one:  'DDoS attack disrupts telemedicine session, patient dies, NBNCo says security "not our responsibility," Parliamentary inquiry commences.'
> Which one is more likely?

This is precisely the kind of hyperbole that fuels my cynicism.

In the space of a couple of days we've gone from discussing malware
and botnets to actual death-by-internet and disconnection of entire ISPs
from potentially hundreds of thousands of law-abiding paying customers.

That's way, way off the deep-end.

This telemedicine operator is now prescribing a healthy sense of proportion
and a reality checkup.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)