[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon Sep 20 18:17:06 EST 2010

  On 20/09/2010 5:57 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Jason Bailey wrote:
>
>> I can see the headlines now: "NBN disconnects surgeon, kills patient".
> I can see another one:  'DDoS attack disrupts telemedicine session, patient dies, NBNCo says security "not our responsibility," Parliamentary inquiry commences.'
>
> Which one is more likely?

I think you might need to pick a better example Roland - with the NBNCo connections
being private ethernet point-to-point VLANs between the hospital site and the RSP,
with strict ingress traffic rate policing on adjacent physical ports preventing port
overload, any DDoS would have to affect the telemedicine session _outside_ the NBN,
within the RSP network. This headline is perfectly appropriate - the NBN cannot be
responsible for stupidity of the end-users or their service providers!

Now if an ONT was compromised, that would be a different kettle of fish.

Paul.