[AusNOG] Cisco 6500 with Sup 720 3BXL - Good routing platform ??

Jason Bailey jason at naughtymonkeys.net
Mon Sep 20 14:16:18 EST 2010

On 20/09/2010 11:48 AM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
 > 6500/7600 NetFlow just isn't up to snuff for production use

Perhaps not in large networks with very high volumes of traffic, as in
the US. However here in Australia ISPs have successfully used them for
Netflow based billing for years.

Can they export flows when the box is running at capacity? No, but they
don't need to. They only need to export traffic at the peak level of the
network they're part of. Do they have scaling issues for flow exports
when approaching TCAM exhaustion? Absolutely.

An outright "not up to snuff for production use" isn't accurate. They
route/switch packets/frames perfectly well.

Jason

PS-> I enjoyed your presentation last week at AusNOG, even though I
didn't agree 100%. Sadly I didn't get the chance to introduce myself.
Maybe next year :)