[AusNOG] Cisco 6500 with Sup 720 3BXL - Good routing platform ??

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sun Sep 19 22:10:14 EST 2010

On Sep 19, 2010, at 7:06 PM, Alex Pinto wrote:

> I’m not too concerned about security (firewall  deep inspection) within this device as I want it purely for speed / routing / BGP downstream, but netflow and having control of packets is equally as important so maybe the 6500 platform might not be the best.

'Firewall' & 'deep inspection' <> security.  Viable telemetry for traffic visibility, self-protection mechanisms (iACLs, GTSM, CoPP, et. al.), S/RTBH &, as you say, stateless ACLs in hardware = security.

6500 is useful in non-edge applications, but not at the edge, due to caveats in the current hardware.

 	       Sell your computer and buy a guitar.