[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Sun Sep 19 12:05:46 EST 2010

On 19/09/2010, at 11:25 AM, Mark Newton wrote:

> Mostly agree, except that I'd suggest "different" in place of "more
> dramatic," and go on to note that even though the problem has always
> existed we seem to have been doing a pretty good job of ignoring it,
> which strongly suggests that it barely rates in the grand scale of
> things.

And just for clarification:  I'm using, "we," to mean, "our global
societies," not, "the members of this mailing list."

If you pick a random Western-world individual and ask them about
cholera they'll know what you're talking about, even though odds
are that they'll never contract it.  If you ask them about online
security, they'll probably have absolutely no idea, even though
Norton thinks they're highly likely to be a "victim." :-)

There's your sense of proportion right there.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)