[AusNOG] Fwd: SEEK Executive JobMail - 1 new jobs for SeekCTO

Paul Brooks pbrooks at layer10.com.au
Mon Sep 13 18:09:30 EST 2010

  On 10/09/2010 8:15 PM, Glenn Powell wrote:

> I was asked by a colleague the other day as to what will happen to
> those customers currently on ADSL but outside the footprint of NBN
> fibre. Having not seen this discussed to date made me wonder how these
> customers will be handled.
>
> Will they get a raw deal of being transposed to NBN Wireless (which
> might be a step back in speed etc). Or will this allow Telstra to
> innovate with whatever the future holds for Copper (VDSL2, bonded 2 pairs etc)

I would think this is largely an issue for Telstra, the operator of the DSLAMs
providing the DSL signal over the copper, and the customer's ISP (and these might all
be the same company, or they could be three different companies).
The answer might be in the details of the special deal non-binding heads of agreement
which apparently describes Telstra agreeing to migrate subscribers over to NBN Co, but
those details have probably not been written yet.

Has the customer asked their ISP what the ISP intends to do when the NBN wireless
footprint is built in that area?

P.