[AusNOG] Conroy's net filter still alive and kicking

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Fri Sep 10 16:02:49 EST 2010

On 10/09/2010, at 3:11 PM, Andrew Fort wrote:

> <jamest at pageuppeople.com> wrote:
>>
>> Secondly this is the hook/starting point to get ISP's to keep records of
>> all our traffic on the net. It lays the foundation.
>
> Yeah.  I guess as an industry we'd better stop saying "disk is cheap"
> or the geniuses in government will think it doesn't cost us anything
> to do their snooping of our users :/.

The industry will be ok. With a single wholesaler of layer 2 services to the entire country, ISP's won't have to bother much with law enforcement beyond mapping IP addresses to physical ports. NBNco will do the rest - possibly even the IP addressing part thanks to option-82 features. Be careful what you wish for..

John