[AusNOG] Conroy's net filter still alive and kicking

Vitaly Osipov vitaly.osipov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:00:17 EST 2010

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/conroys-net-filter-still-alive-and-kicking-20100910-1540s.html

<Friday rant>

For the life of me I cannot understand what is driving this filter
thing. I do not believe in altruistic government implementing stuff
purely for the citizens benefit without additional benefits for the
industry or the govt itself. Textbook examples are:

e-health = a tool to reduce Medicare fraud
smart meters = a tool for power distribution companies to tie your
individual tariffs into spot market (and more)
NBN = ?  a war with Telstra? a tool to enable the Orwellian scale
surveillance? Still thinking on this one..

But the filter? Is it pure Christian fundamentalism? Censorship? what?

</Friday rant>

Regards,
Vitaly