[AusNOG] Fwd: SEEK Executive JobMail - 1 new jobs for SeekCTO

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Sep 10 10:10:38 EST 2010

  On 10/09/2010 8:00 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
> I thought everybody was getting fibre -
>
> "you do it once, you do it right and you do it with fibre" - Tony
> Windsor
93% of everybody is getting fibre. The rest - particularly the 'outside' - were always
getting radio, in every model - its one of the few ways they all agreed.
Interestingly that remaining 7% is likely to be made up of many many small pockets of
houses inside the nominal fibre footprint area - odd streets and spurs of suburbs
without sufficient housing density to justify a fibre deployment. If you live in a
spur of bushland beside a national park or river, you may be out of luck -
consequently the radio network may have to cover quite a lot of the urbanised area.

> I find it a tragedy that choices about who's going to form government,
> with the NBN supposedly being one of the major criteria, were made by
> people who don't know the reality of the NBN deployment. But what can
> you expect when politicians try to understand and make judgements on
> mechanism rather than limiting themselves to policy.
And here I was thinking choices about who's going to form government were made by the
people, voting for a representative of their community. People who also largely don't
know the reality of the NBN deployment, if there is one.

I find it refreshing that there is someone still left who thinks there is a one true
reality when it comes to the NBN, for anyone to 'know'.

Paul.