[AusNOG] Katter backs Coalition - Windsor backs Gillard

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Sep 7 21:11:22 EST 2010

  On 7/09/2010 8:55 PM, Bevan Slattery wrote:

> From: http://www.aceinfo.net.au/images/PDF/ACE%20VRI%20Guide.pdf
>
> Bandwidth recommendation
> Upload: 512Kbps is recommended to give the best quality picture.
> Download: 512Kbps is also recommended to receive the best quality
> picture of the
> interpreter.
>
> 512Kbps symmetrical for "best quality picture".

Yes, thats what the document says Bevan. Its a pragmatic compromise between whats true
- 2 -5 Mbps symmetric works a whole pile better - and whats affordable and available.
It gives a signal to people with generally low incomes that entry-level 128 and 256
kbps upstream is not sufficient, but stops short of turning a significant number of
people off who either can't get 1Mbps+ DSL from many provider, or who could get it but
can't afford it, and might spend their milk money in a quest for it.

The word on the street from people that are using it - and I am working with some of
them - is that 512kbps doesn't provide the fluency they need. And if they are in the
middle of a conversation when someone else in the house sends a largeish email or
uploads some photos to PIcasa, its toast.

Grahame asked what sort of applications required HD video conferencing at home. This
is an answer to that question.

P.

--
Paul Brooks               |         Mob +61 414 366 605
Layer 10 Advisory         |         Ph  +61 2 9402 7355