[AusNOG] Telstra move to close exchange worries rivals

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Tue Sep 7 10:00:17 EST 2010

Hi Keiran,

> Surely completing this on a wide-scale is going to prove cost
> prohibitive?  If not, why aren't other ISPs rolling out their own
> networks on a wide-scale basis and just deploying their clients to
this
> instead of on-selling Telstra wholesale services?

- we don't own the ducts and therefore get a free kick in deployment and
ongoing costs
- we can only use our Low Impact/Land Access powers to deliver to an
inbuilding subscriber service (not buildings without subscribers)
- delivering a services to many, many buildings where you don't have a
customer is very dotcom
- Just about everyone in the entire area is (or will be) a Telstra
customer

This is essentially what will happen under the FttH/NBN process.
Complete fibre cutover.   However, the big difference is that NBN Co.
will have a wholesale product for everyone, whereas Telstra currently
does not.

[b]