[AusNOG] AAB Statement

James Spenceley james at vocus.com.au
Thu Sep 2 17:17:29 EST 2010

On 02/09/2010, at 4:57 PM, Tom Lanyon wrote:

> On 02/09/2010, at 4:18 PM, James Spenceley wrote:
>> Think about how often you download a file and it comes in much slower than your line rate DSL ... will having 1gbps fix this ?  How often do you get a torrent at full line rate ?
>>
>> Even the singapore FTTH model, that has been held up as the mantle of what we are trying to achieve has a 100-200mbps line rate but a limit of 15mbps of International capacity (and International is much cheaper in .sg than here). Do we want that solution ?
>
> Would a 1Gbps last-mile make Australia more attractive for content providers to run/trial new high-bandwidth services locally?

Last time i heard anything we were going to have 200+ POIs (that may have changed I've been busy lately), so, Do I think a content provider will want to put 200 high-speed streaming servers into Australia, no, not really.

Would they do it to one or two POIs as a trial, maybe, but they could do that exact trial in the Verizon FIOS regions of the US East Coast.

So, yeah maybe it would be possible someone sends us some servers, but I wouldn't build the network in the hope :-)

But as Bev says, we could be wrong (partially or entirely)

:-)

--
James

CEO