[AusNOG] Cisco Umi Telepresence - example of residential and small business bandwidth needs

Alastair Watts awatts at pett.com.au
Fri Oct 29 20:47:25 EST 2010

Hi noggers,

Have just seen this (apologies for those that have seen it before):
http://home.cisco.com/en-us/telepresence/umi/meet-umi

Cisco are releasing a residential grade Telepresence called Umi,
apparently for US$599. At this price it's certainly within reach of Mum
and Dad home Internet user.

The system boasts full 1080p HD Telepresence, and states that the
minimum bandwidth requirement for 1080p is 3.5 Mb/s up and down. 720p
has a minimum requirement of 1.5 Mb/s up and down.

I'm sure we'll see more of these devices coming to market in the near
future. Surely these are a good example of how higher bandwidth
(especially upstream) will be required in the very near future, despite
what some companies may believe off the back of Lies, Damn Lies and
Statistics?

Cheers,

Al