[AusNOG] PXE boot with custom on the fly builds

Will Dowling will at autodeist.com
Thu Oct 28 12:32:11 EST 2010

> Have any of you had experience with using PXE to image linux and or
> windows servers on the fly but also including parameters like root /
> admin password + trigger latest updates + IP assignment ?
>
> I am thinking of setting up another little lab to try and test out doing
> a PXE imaging environment for bettering the deployment of servers and
> what not.

The server builds I do for work are preseeded debian-installers for
Ubuntu. The only thing you enter is the IP, Netmask, Gateway and
Hostname - everything else is done for you.

I've considered for other projects wrapping this up into a web-based
tool around tftpd-hpa so you can build server 'profiles' and have them
reinstall over PXE as often as you like - but wasn't sure this would be
a tool many people would be interested in.

The only reason this works so well for me is because all our system
configurations are packaged and a box is merely a combination of these
packages depending on its role.

Will Dowling

T: +61 (0407) 421 559
F: +61 (08) 6364 4881