[AusNOG] Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Oct 13 18:45:52 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 22:49 -0700, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM, ComKal Networks
> <admin at comkal.com.au> wrote:
>
>         No, there is NO requirement to pay the/a "donation/fine" to a
>         particular charity anymore, and this information if not
>         already
>         updated probably will be soon. The 'required' donation had
>         a few depends attached to it, is was not, and never had been
>         always required.
>

> From http://www.sorbs.net/overview.shtml :
> "The affected IPs (the ones used to send the spam) will only be
> de-listed when US$50 is donated to a SORBS nominated charity or good
> cause. The charities and good causes SORBS approves will not have any
> connection with any member of the SORBS administrators, either past or
> present."
>
> "only" is a fairly strong word, which imples 'required' if you ask me.
>
> It sounds like you're claiming that this is outdated, but the simple
> fact is that it's what the websites states is fact, so how are we
> expected to believe otherwise?

It has stated this since the dawn of time, well, ok, SORBS time, but it
has never been mandatory, the last time I had dealings with SORBS was,
well, first in 2002 (happy to delist us once we are sure the dirty user
was cleaned up, done and delisted within hours, and back in 2005/06,
over a few weeks my employer at the time was blocked because of some
windows dweebs who got a nasty infection, delisted, - relisted a few
days later, had a call from Michelle, got SORBS login, dealt with
moronic users, delisted.. nothing since and at no time, despite the web
page, have any of my above mentioned employers-at-the-time, paid SORBS a
cent, there was no "demand",  I suspect the web site is a scare tactic,
and it certainly worked with all the FUD going around over the years.