[AusNOG] Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

Michelle Sullivan matthew at sorbs.net
Wed Oct 13 18:15:01 EST 2010

Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> On 13/10/2010, at 10:59 AM, Cole, Patrick wrote:
>
>> Personally,  I'm sick of SORBS wasting my time with their DUHL
>> listings on IP address space that has been re-purposed from dynamic
>> to static.   After six months of logging tickets I finally got all
>> our static blocks delisted a few months ago, and now just in the last
>> week suddenly the whole lot have been listed again, and their website
>> was also broken at the time making delisting impossible.    A week
>> later, customers are still complaining.
>
> I'm guessing you're not on the SORBS mailing list - it's been a busy
> couple of weeks for them :)  They were apparently migrating from their
> 'old' database, to a 'new' database, and something broke in the
> process, so instead of happening overnight, it took over a week..  And
> in the middle of that, a whole bunch of old listings re-appeared.
>  Mat^H^Hichelle posted on the 8th that that was now all fixed and the
> migration was completed.

More than one error, and it turned out to be my fault.  A programming
error which switched 2 variables (and there for columns) in the database.

We have been running without the Spam and Web/Hacked databases being
exported for over a week now because of the problem.  Today we will
re-migrate the affected flag which will resolve it.

> Seems they have some new delisting policies with the new owners.. -
> get your netblock blacklisted (rather than just a single IP), and you
> have no option except to pay the 'donation' ? hrrrm

There are new policies, the policies have not been updated on the
website yet as I have been busy fixing the incorrect listings.

Basically, SORBS2 allows a network operator to register and delist IPs
within set limits for the spam and web databases.

First time listings 48 hours + (timeout * number of spams) (max 10 spams)
Second time listings 48 hours + (timeout * 2 * number of spams) (max 50
spams)
Third time listings 48 hours + (timeout * 5 * number of spams) (max 100
spams)
Forth time listings 48 hours + (timeout * 10 * number of spams) (max 250
spams)
Fifth time listings 48 hours + (timeout * 28 * number of spams) (max 500
spams)

If you are over the max spams you have to log a support ticket.

The spams should not be more than one for any single "spam run" as we
block the host at the spamtrap server when it is listed for the
following 24 hours.  So in theory you'd have to be spamming 10 days in a
row to exceed the first listing limit.  In practice the time to block vs
amount of connections incoming could cause more than one to get through
but the most I have seen has been 3.

We also have paid support staff now as well as the volunteers so support
is getting quicker.  Several weeks ago we were 1 month behind answering
tickets, we are now down to 6 days.  I expect this to be 24 hours within
another week or 2.  Escalated listings are still way behind, but if you
have an escalated listing you have ignored the spam problem in your
network for way too long, so we will prioritise those who are more
active (even if reactive.)

The DUHL Queue processing is currently suspended whilst we complete the
change over.  This will only be a few more hours then I expect the month
of back log to be caught up within 4 or 5 days.

That said shortly Operaters will be able to login and update their
complete static/dynamic/business etc ranges directly.  This utility is
already there and was added with SORBS2 if anyone wants access they can
log a support request *from the email address registered in the whois DB
for the networks concerned* and we will give them access.  The access
will allow them to see the process however it stops short of actually
changing the database itself until I am confident that the other bugs
that reared up have been successfully nuked.

Best regards,

Michelle @ SORBS