[AusNOG] G.9961 home networking in Australia

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Oct 12 22:57:33 EST 2010

  On 12/10/2010 10:03 PM, Richard Pruss wrote:
> On 12/10/2010, at 8:30 PM, Dale Shaw wrote:
>
>> Hi Ric,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Richard Pruss<ric at cisco.com>  wrote:
>>> Someone gave a lightning talk and made the, for me, welcome claim that network over power
>>> has finally reach maturity and is good for use in homes and that there were working products
>>> on the Ausie market.  Can someone point me at who gave the talk, I am keen to track the product
>>> down and make my video delivery to the deck a little less prone to disruption by bad network weather.
>> It was Paul Brooks who delivered the talk.
>>
>> I did some research recently though and I think it'll be a few more
>> months before we see G.hn products start to appear on the market. I
>> e-mailed Netcomm to ask about their planned offerings and they
>> provided a similar time frame.
>>
>> Pretty sure the gadgets Paul had on the day were some of the existing
>> Ethernet over Powerline (85 and/or 200Mbps) products.
>>
>> See: http://www.homeplug.org/certified_products
>>
> Thanks Dale, I guess I will just need to wait for a few months.
>
> Paul it was a great little talk even if I have to wait a few months for 1G.

Thanks Ric, and Dale for the quicker reply.

I confess the units I held up at the conference were older 85 Mbps Netcomm units, and
one of them is fried - being school holidays I had a major eruption that morning as I
burrowed behind the kids computer in the loungeroom to 'borrow' the 200Mbps unit for
the day, when they finally twigged I was going to isolate them from the net, AND to
add insult to injury I would also pinch the one behind the telly that links it to the
fileserver (gotta love Samsung LCD panels with built-in ethernet and DLNA client). One
day I'll have to remind them what the socket marked 'aerial' can be used for :-)

Paul.

--
Paul Brooks               |         Mob +61 414 366 605
Layer 10 Advisory         |         Ph  +61 2 9402 7355