[AusNOG] IPV6 DEPLOYMENT SUGGESTION

ComKal Networks admin at comkal.com.au
Sat Oct 9 00:05:56 EST 2010

Hi,

> Well. This is a new use case.

But one that quite a few people have already realised there would
be a great need for.

> Without any v4 space you cannot do anything. Do you have any space at all?

One of the groups I'm associated with were talking about things like
this a few years ago, that companies would have to bring out a v6
address translation box that would basically have internal internet
v4 private address space, and translate to public IPv6 while still
providing internal IPv6 space. It is something that I would have though
quite a few companies would produce simply because of the initial
need that would arise for such a product.

I'm also sure I saw or read somewere that someone had also released
just such a product but it is only ment to be used for private internet
v4 IP space.

Any system that wanted to use either would have to have both
stacks enabled, ie, if the end user system only has a v6 stack
then it cannot talk to a v4 box, and visa vesa.

Cheers
Ian Manners
ComKal Networks Australia